With a little modification, this soup recipe below can easily be enjoyed for the whole family. This recipe makes enough to feed our family with enough left overs to store for future meals for baby.
Preparation time 5 minutes, Cooking time: 60 minutes
1 TBS olive oil
1 TBS salt reduced butter
750 mL water
1 x medium size butternut pumpkin
2 x carrot, peeled & roughly chopped
1 x stick celery, roughly chopped
1 x onion, chopped
1 x garlic clove, chopped
1 x bay leaves
Pinch of nutmeg
- Thickened cream to serve
- Garlic bread
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line the oven tray with baking paper. Halve the pumpkin, remove the seeds and cut them into wedges. Roast the pumpkin until it is soft with caramelised edges (~45-60 minutes). Remove the skin.
- Meanwhile, heat oil & butter in the saucepan over a medium-low heat. Add the onion and stir for 5 minutes until translucent and soft. Add garlic, carrot, celery, bay leave and water. Bring to the boil and simmer until vegetables are soft (~15 minutes). Remove bay leaf.
- Add the peeled roasted pumpkin, stir and then simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Blend with a handheld blender until smooth and thick enough to hold well on the spoon.
- Add a pinch of nutmeg
Family Serving: Garnish the soup with thickened cream and serve with garlic bread. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Set aside the desired amount aside and freeze the soup into individual portions
Good combinations to the Pumpkin Soup
- Quinoa: To give more a texture
- Spinach: to boost up iron